An oldie but a goodie…
Hint: The mince mixture of this recipe could make great left overs! Just make sure you store the food in a safe way.
Why it’s good for you:
- Lean mince is low in fat but high in protein and iron
- Vegetables are loaded with vitamins
- Wholemeal spaghetti has more fibre than some other varieties
What you need:
- 500g wholemeal spaghetti
- 500g lean beef mince
- Tinned diced/crushed tomato
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- Tinned Legumes e.g. lentils (drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 garlic clove
- Grated low fat cheese to serve
- Cook carrot, onion, zucchini, celery and garlic in a large saucepan over a medium- high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add mince, breaking it apart with a spatula/wooden spoon and cook until browned.
- Add tinned tomato, tomato paste, legumes, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, ½ cup water, herbs and spices (you can add different ones here to make this dish your own).
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a low heat and simmer for 20-30minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- While the sauce is thickening, cook the pasta following the directions on the packet.
- Serve with a small sprinkle of cheese.