The Australian Dietary Guidelines are based on scientific evidence and research, and provide up-to-date advice about the types and amounts of foods children and adolescents should be eating to promote health and wellbeing, reduce the risk of diet-related conditions like obesity, and minimise the risk of chronic diseases later in life.
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Eat nutritious foods and drinks that meet their energy needs
- Eat sufficient nutritious foods to grow and develop normally
- Be physically active every day
- Have their growth checked regularly
- Eat a wide variety of nutritious foods from the Five Food Groups
- Limit their intake of foods containing saturated fats, added salt, added sugars and alcohol.
- Encourage, support and promote breastfeeding
- Care for your food and prepare and store it safely